What is the BS4825 Standard?
- The British Standard BS4825 is an internationally accepted regulation for stainless steel tubes, fittings and couplings for industries where a very high level of hygiene is required.
The BS4825 standard is mainly used in
- Dairy factories
- Food production companies
- Chemical industry
The BS4825 standard includes agreements on:
- Dimensional tolerances
- Material requirements
- Surface finish
- Hygienic assembly of couplings
The BS4825 standard is devided into 5 parts:
- Part 1: Specifications of seamless and longitudinally welded austenitic stainless steel tubes
- Part 2: Specifications for bends and tees
- Part 3: Specifications for clamp type couplings
- Part 4: Specifications of IDF type couplings
- Part 5: Specifications of RJT type couplings.
- The BS4825 does not contain specifications for crosses and reducers, nor are flanges specified in the standard.
- Besides the coupling types that are described in one of the BS4825 parts, SMS couplings are also often used in British dairy systems. Including welding connections, you have no less than 5 different options for connecting pipes and fittings and that is quite special.
Tubes and fittings from the BS4825 range are always made of stainless steel.
- Stainless steel grade 304L (1.4307)
- Stainless steel grade 316L (1.4404)
Stainless steel 304L is mostly used in the dairy and food sector.
Couplings sometimes use 316L (1.4404) ferrules and male parts, while the nut is made of stainless steel 304 (1.4301).
The benefits of use:
- It doesn't matter from which supplier you buy your BS4825 standard parts: the dimensions, materials and quality are always the same.
|Image: BS4825-3 Clamp type couplings are often used in beer breweries
BS4825 Part 1: Hygienic tubes
||Dimensions D x s (mm)
||12,7 x 1,6
||19,05 x 1,6
||25,4 x 1,6
||38,1 x 1,6
||50,8 x 1,6
||63,5 x 1,6
||76,2 x 1,6
||101,6 x 2,0
BS4825 Part 2: Welding bends and -tees
BS4825 Part 3 Clamp type couplings
BS4825 Part 4 IDF type couplings
BS4825 Part 5 RJT type couplings
BS4825 SMS type couplings